Tuesday 14 January 2014

About Language, Humor And Energizing Spanish People


I wrote this text for my sending organization in November. Here you can read about my first two months in Belfast, enjoy!

Time flies. It's what you say, huh? I have now been living in my new hometown for more than two months, the National insurance number has just arrived and I'm finally part of the system. I've learned the shortcuts to work, what buses you should take, the opening hours of my local supermarket etc. Everything starts to get into place in the new cognitive schema I have forced my brain to create. I'm getting good at slang, using habituated expressions like "what's the craic?" and "Dead on”, replaced the word “little” with "wee". Mixing visits to cozy traditional pubs with going to the cheap cinema (£3 on Tuesdays!). When I dream, I dream in English and I have started to joke in my new language. Let me explain the latter a little bit further.


Swedes are among the people on earth who like to think of themselves as articulate in English, even though it is not considered as a second language. This could very much be true; mostly thanks to the influence of American culture and the fact that English has a high status in our society. I came to the green island with an understanding that I speak very good English for not having used it in my everyday life before. I hear this all the time. But can I really express my personality fully in my second language. This may not be entirely true. I have an advanced level of English, sometimes I throw myself with too formal terms in the wrong context due to all academic books I have been forced to read throughout university. I feel comfortable in my speech and I like to explore new concepts and words that are constantly given to me. But this is not the case for the humor. The irony that I use as a guiding principle in everyday conversations, the snappy comments that have become my way of being (note: I do not think I'm a real comedian) aren’t quite as smooth in the English language. We all uses humor in different ways and it defines us all in one-way or another. The person I am will then be different depending on which language I use. I feel that it has started to come off now. I think I have started to exchange the formal English with the informal language of everyday life - the unexpected comments and the non-coercive chat. This is very liberating. Not only for me but also for my new surrounding that has the change to experience my amazing linguistic development. Okay, enough said about language, otherwise I’ll just start talking about linguistic relativistic theories. I don’t think you’re up to hearing my view of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.

Otherwise, I am busy. Work is exciting and creative. It feels as if I add something to the team. Working with domestic violence with a group of young girls, they'll make a short film on the subject. Another group is working with school issues versus cultural differences. In this case it’s about language training for new citizens, the possibility of getting better food and longer skirts. Very instructive. I have also been away on training with work in their special "civic action model". My colleagues are fantastic; dedicated and qualified in their fields.


I socialize a lot with other volunteers, all from different parts of Europe. It not just feels like I'm learning a lot about Northern Ireland, but also about several other European countries as well. Above all, I learn from the crazy Spanish people who have become my closes friends here. Frankly, It’s quite difficult to avoid them in this city because they are all over the place. With the crises in Spain, more and more young people are looking for overseas jobs. Many of them have master degrees, without the possibility of getting a job back home. Sadly, but true. They are a lovely bunch of colorful characters, open and energetic. Even though they over and over again reinforces my stereotypical view of them. Where they lack in language comprehension, they win in their warmth and joy. They like to complain about the colorless food and that pubs close too early. They love to cook and hang out as a family. And I like them more and more each time we meet. Thank you Luis, Maria and Paula for making this experience so much better.

On the plus side: I found vegan baked goods at the market this weekend. I am ecstatic!

On the minus side: That I bought expensive rubber boots before coming here only because of the rumors that it is a rainy country. Where is the rain now huh?

Yours truly,

Emelie

No comments:

Post a Comment